First built as a fortress, Château Coutet still bears the stamp of its medieval origins. The square tower with its battlements, located in the centre of the courtyard, is typical of military constructions of the time. The following centuries also left their mark on the architecture: the Salasse (or Salace) ‚– a fortified house ‚– bears witness to the architectural style of the 14th century. The chapel and two other towers show how the estate evolved during the 18th century.
The history of Château Coutet as a winemaking estate starts in 1643, when Charles Le Guérin, known as Lord of Coutet, made it one of the first vineyards in the Sauternes appellation. The estate remained in the hands of his descendants until 1788. The estate is now owned by the Rothschild family.
- Winery Note
|Product Type||Spirits Liqueur|